Friday, June 26, 2009

Surviving

I do some part time driving hauling railroad crews to their trains patiently waiting on siding around the Nebraska countryside. I go as far West as Ravenna, NE and as far East as Creston, IA. Toss Sioux City in on the North and Kansas City on the South and you have my box of influence.

Sometimes, the conversation is very interesting. Most of the time it isn't. But last night was very interesting. The crew was engaged in a conversation about surviving. No, I am not talking about surviving my driving or them surviving their train trip, I am talking about people surviving in a country that could see total collapse.

Can't happen you say. I heard that on my Kilo Mike book tour and then 9/11 happened. Now this crew was a little different than most. They were Iraq and Afghanistan vets. I might add, highly trained ones.

And unlike most Americans, they are prepared. If the food supply got interrupted it wouldn't take long before shelves went empty and people started looking at your food as their food. Your animals would be their food. Your water would be their water. They are prepared for a total civil breakdown.

They discussed the various ways to purify water. They discussed the best places to go for such a problem. They discussed food. They discussed guns and which ones to have and for what purpose.

(My 380 is almost worthless because I can't find ammo for it.) They own 40 and 9mm guns. They own AK's. They own 22's and 17's. They are trained in how to use these guns and others and they have trained their wives and children.

They're ready. I am not. Are you?

Don't think it can't happen. A lot of things that can't happen already have.

No comments: